Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Airport Survival

I don't know anyone who thinks that flying is the best part of their trip. "Ooh, I get to waste time in an airport today!"

There are a few things that you can do to make your airport stay a little better than crappy.

Before you ever go to the airport, call the airline the day before to see if your flight is on schedule. It's easier to change things at home from the comfort of your couch (and without 300 other mad travelers fighting for time). Keep an eye on things like weather before-hand, because many airlines can re-route you through another city if given enough advance notice (and if it's weather-related, without a change fee.)

Arrive the required 2 hours ahead of time. Bleck, I know, it's a pain in the ass. But it will give you enough time to stand in line and check in, get through the security cattle lines, etc.

Pack light. I know, I know. Hey, I'm a woman, we want to pack the kitchen sink. But you have to lift those bags, drag them behind you through 4 terminals, etc. I've mentioned Space Bags before - life-savers that they are.

Bring a snack. All that fatty airport food is tempting (can you say Cinnabon?) But you'll feel better if you stick to a sandwich or a snack bar.

If you don't bring a snack, get food before you get on the plane. We all know that airplane food is right up there with slop, so if you get a bagel or sandwich or muffin before you get on the plane, you'll be enjoying meal time while everyone else is picking through their food with plastic forks.

Get one of those neck pillows, or bring your own small pillows. Don't use the ones on the airlines. Do you know how often they wash those drooly things? Not enough.

Bring toilet seat covers. Charmin sells them in travel size. Use them on the airplane and the airport. A good match with a small bottle of anti-bacterial wash. They make paper soap now, too. Just add water.

And with that, a happy Hump day to all of you.

5 comments:

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Personally I travel with my own litter box. Are we allowed our own water again? I can't remember.

Renee Nefe said...

And bring a good book to read is always in order! Lately I've been trying my hardest to book direct flights...even though DD is old enough to do the transfer thing, it is just so much easier on us and sometimes it's even cheaper...only sometimes. LOL!

MaR said...

Clever tips, Carmen!! I follow Renee's tip too, as I always have a paperback to read. Our own water isn't allowed yet, at least not in Europe.

Red said...

Good tips, Carmen.

And Mar, it is possible to bring your own water on the aircraft. You just have to buy it once you've gone past the security checks.

MaryPena said...

Good post