Tuesday, April 15, 2008

You Asked

Wow, I didn't know you guys had so many questions! So the Q&A continues today, mostly because I'm in pre-vacation mode, and can't get my brain to work. Why is it that the week before you go on vacation, things at your job always go bonkers?


Q: What do I do with Pooh Bear when I go on vacation?
A: Well, that depends. If I go somewhere without the BF, he'll watch Pooh. (They have an "understanding") If the BF and I go together, I have a pet sitter that comes in to feed him. The pet sitter leaves me notes each day that tell me if Pooh behaved. :)


Q: Do I get jet lag when I go to a destination?
A: Again, depends on the destination. I don't sleep on airplanes, so I arrive already tired. If I'm traveling in the US, I can usually adapt with a minor nap. In Europe, I'm ready for sleep at 6 p.m., and then the next day I'm fine. When I went to Ireland, I left the US at 5 p.m., got to Ireland at 6 a.m. their time, and by around 5 p.m. Ireland time, I was so tired I was speaking gibberish. Took a nap at 6 p.m., woke up at 8 p.m. for dinner, went to sleep again at 11 p.m., and then I was off and running for the rest of the trip. I'm a big fan of naps.


Q: How do I find my fun activities?
A: I am a Type A person, so I like to have my ducks in a row before I go. Part of the fun of a trip for me is the research beforehand. I'm a big Barnes and Noble groupie, and I like to sit down with a hot chocolate and just read the guidebooks. I look things up on the Internet, too. I find it helps to have a spreadsheet (told you I was type A) of what I'm doing each day. (It's not so structured as to be time-specific.) I found this really useful in both Paris and Italy, where the churches and museums that I wanted to see were only open on certain days at certain times.)


Q: So where am I off to now?
We leave next week to go to Las Vegas (and crossing my fingers that there are no more grounded flights.) After that, who knows? :)

5 comments:

Red said...

Spreadsheet? Wow, I thought I was an anal holiday organizer, but I think you might beat me to the crown!

And I totally second what you say about work being crazy the week before you're due to travel. Happens to me every single time too.

Renee Nefe said...

I do the spreadsheet thing too...all the time!!! Especially for Thanksgiving dinner. I'll plot out when dinner is supposed to be served and work my way backwards so I know when to put the Turkey in the oven...etc...

I blogged about how when my neice got married she didn't have any kind of schedule for everyone. I would have given each person in the wedding party a spreadsheet... Saturday 10 am...hairdressing appt. 11-noon...get dressed. 12:30 be at X for pictures...etc... oh well that's just me. I realize that not everyone in the world is as ____ as I am about this stuff.

MaR said...

I sleep on airplanes, even if it's a trip inside Europe (which is max 2hours!). I am a nap person :)
You are so organized! I make lists but not spreadsheets...
Have fun, fun, and more fun in Vegas!!

Gemini and Ichiro said...

YOu know, you don't have to worry about no more grounded flights, so long as YOUR flight isn't grounded. So much less worry that way... :)

Heather said...

Hahha no joke on the type a with the spreadsheet ;) You should share some of them!