Bone was having a conversation on his blog about VH1s top 100 songs of the 80's. They were chosen by VH1 viewers, and Bon Jovi's Living on a Prayer was voted #1. Bon Jovi? I mean, they were good, but the quintessential 80's song is Thriller - by Michael Jackson. How can you have even a top 10 without Thriller? Billie Jean was in the top 5, and they got it right with Duran Duran (I heart John Taylor and Simon Le Butt!) at number 3 (but not the right song, they voted Hungry Like the Wolf, and I'd have to say Reflex or Rio.) Then Renee posted this quiz and I sadly missed only one or two. I'm a child of the 80s!
These viewers must not have been 80s children. They have no idea what they're talking about. But then Bone left Duran Duran out of his top 10, so I'm a little worried about him.
So my top 10, based more on songs that defined the 80s, not necessarily my favorites would be
1. Thriller - Michael Jackson
2. Like a Virgin - Madonna
3. Rio - Duran Duran
4. White Wedding - Billy Idol
5. Whip It - Devo
6. Video Killed the Radio Star - Buggles
7. Billie Jean - Michael Jackson (yes, Michael gets 2, he WAS the 80s)
8. I Love Rock N' Roll - Joan Jett and the Blackhearts
9. Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
10. I Ran - Flock of Seagulls
Really, I don't know what I'm saying. There's no way to narrow it to 10!