Friday, May 02, 2008

Red Rock Cayon Trip Report

So far this week, we've been to Vegas, the Grand Canyon and Hoover Dam.

Today, we're heading to Red Rock Canyon.

I think I've mentioned that I can only take Vegas in small doses. Since we didn't know what time we'd get back from the Grand Canyon, we kept our rental car for two days. Since we had the car for two days, we decided that on the second day we'd drive 25 minutes or so to Red Rock Canyon.

I dare say that I preferred Red Rock. No, it's not as "natural wonder-y" as the Grand Canyon, but it's a bit more up-close-and-personal, which I really enjoyed. It was a lot cheaper - only $5 per car per day gets you spectacular rock formations and a 13-mile, one-way loop to drive.

Learn from us - make sure to get some water or some beverage from the Visitors Center BEFORE you head out hiking. Although, I think we enjoyed just driving the entire loop without stopping the first time.

Take a look at the newsletter you're handed when you pay your entrance fee and pick the stops where you'd like to have your photo ops and hiking boots.

I highly recommend that you stop at the first area - the Calico Hills. These are the most red rocks, and you can climb on them (with your feet, or with climbing equipment.) But really, you couldn't go wrong with any of the stops - you can't spit without hitting a good photo op.

Here's video from part of the loop drive.




And here are some photos from our Red Rock day.

6 comments:

Heather said...

I loved red rock! It was a great break from Vegas :)

Renee Nefe said...

I hadn't heard of Red Rock before! Wow! Your pictures are so great, it looks like a really great trip. I might have to talk DH into that one.

One of these days I think it would be really cool to just take a RV and go see everything our country has to offer. don't know how I would pay for it though...perhaps I should start in Vegas and win big. LOL!

Unknown said...

we've been to RRC several times and always enjoy it. we like valley of fire, too. great pics!

Gemini and Ichiro said...

What a great day trip. The Male may need to get in shape to go hiking with the Woman if they ever get out to Vegas.

Hootin Anni said...

This makes me miss our AZ home. I loved being in Grand Canyon...it's just so breathtaking.

And you and me both, Vegas is okay if only for a little while. It's the same ol' same ol' all over the city tho, just different architecture. Y'know?

TC said...

I consider Vegas a "fly-into" spot only anymore. It's close to lots of gorgeous and amazing places, but I really have no desire to be in it for long.

If you liked Red Rock, you should do Sedona sometime.