- The first instrument I learned was the piano. We didn't have one, so I had to go to church to practice. Which meant I hated to practice.
- When I was in the 4th grade, we all learned to play the recorder. It's hell on the ears, a bunch of 9 year olds tooting that thing. :)
- When I was in the 5th grade, we got to pick an instrument to play in the 6th grade band. I wanted to play the flute, but I didn't have the "dip" in my lip I needed, so I took home a trombone. My mom had a cow, and we went back and exchanged it for a saxaphone. So I played the sax for 3 years in band.
- Not only did I play the sax, I was FIRST CHAIR in the band.
- I got bored easily, so my band teacher would teach me other things. She taught me to play the bassoon. The bassoon never got any solos, so I wasn't happy. The only time I've ever heard a bassoon since is in Peter and the Wolf.
- She also taught me to direct a band. A talent I've not used yet.
- It was mandatory in the 9th grade to be in the marching band if you were to continue in the band. I wanted to be a cheerleader, so no more band.
- My mom saw in me a musical talent, so she and Dad bought me a guitar.
- My guitar teacher was a very talented player, but not a great teacher. I'd bring him tapes of what I wanted to learn, and he'd sound it out and teach me. So if anyone wants to hear "Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi or "The Final Countdown" or other 80s songs, I can rock out. Otherwise, I'm self taught, and play by ear.
- When I was in my mid-2os, I had this grand idea that I'd go to Nashville, TN and be a songwriter. I have two songs that I know are hits, if someone would just listen to the tapes.
- On my way to make an official demo of one of these hit songs, I had a car accident. I never made it to the studio - a lost opportunity - and a perfect country song - ha. (A guy at church was going to record it for free, but he was leaving the next day). I took it as a sign from God to go home.
- I still occasionally write songs, but mostly I've accepted that I'm not the next Phil Vassar.
- I love to sing - especially harmony. I've been told my voice is beautiful, but it has a distinct sound to it. It's very bluegrass-y. But now I just lend my musical talents at church, and I'm ok with that. Unless you're a producer (Call me!). Or they decide to start letting you audition for American Idol even if you're over 28 (the current age limit).
Links to other Thursday Thirteens! Other 13 participants only. But everyone feel free to leave a comment, too! Comments rock!
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here!
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others comments. It's easy, and fun! Be sure to update your Thirteen with links that are left for you, as well! I will link to everyone who participates and leaves a link to their 13 things. Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
View More Thursday Thirteen Participants
Tags: Thursday Thirteen , Thursday 13, Meme,